Reupholstered Chair with Contrast Piping

I had mentioned that while my mom was here over Easter weekend we were in furniture rehab mode for the Room Service Atlanta project.  We were on a roll… & on a lunch break we decided to stop in at the local Thrift Store just to see what they had… you just never know.
I was literally drawn to this glowing beacon at the back of the furniture section.  Literally, it was glowing.  This neon green cane chair had surely seen better days & a better paint job.  I am all for colorful furniture & this pic does not do the color justice as it was a gorgeous shade of slime.  But this color was just not doing the trick.  The caning had been removed from the back & all who walked by just rolled their eyes at this sad, sad, green chair. But not me.  At $6.96 I knew (well hoped) that I could save this chair & the end result would be perfect for the room & my “budget”!
I decided I needed a wood element in the space as everything else is upholstered or painted.  Feeling overly ambitious I attempted a little stripping.  Paint stripping. After reading a post from Kate’s archives over at Centsational Girl I decided to try Citristrip, but the aerosol version.  After about two hours of sitting, scraping, wire brushing & sanding I had a pretty bare surface that I stained with Minwax in Walnut.  I was pretty pleased.
Now it was time for upholstery…. oh the options available!  After writing a post for Mohawk’s Blog, Creative Home, on contrast piping I decided this was a great little experiment to try the look on.
I also decided that since the caning was MIA, I would get creative with my upholstering & piping…
I upholstered the inside/outside back using the same exact method as my Bergere Chair Tutorial
& for the seat, I followed the same steps for my Drop In Cushion Tutorial
I then used my trusty upholsterer trick for the Double Piping again… It is just so easy to have someone else do it.  One of these days I will attempt it myself.  The end result came with me hot gluing the double piping around the open areas of the arms, covering the ridge where the caning would have been attached.  I think it gave the chair a young fresh look, especially since it’s PINK!
All in all, the chair cost just under $40 with the Cobalt Blue & Pink Cotton Duck Fabric I picked up on cleareance, the piping, the Paint Stripper & the chair itself… Luckily I had everything else on hand.  I can’t wait to get this in the room & styled.  I hope it comes together like it has in my head… because if it does, it is going to be good ya’ll!  Especially with some of the latest donations!!!
Yeah.  That good.