So if you have been anywhere around Pinterest or the blog world you have most likely seen these fantastic hanging mason jar planters.  I LOVED Stacy’s version, from Not Just A Housewife, the minute I pinned it!  It was officially on the To Do list.

{ Image via Stacy @ Not Just a Housewife }
The only concern that kept popping up was drainage.  Why do things have to function too?!?  Can’t they just be pretty?  Plus, we didn’t really want the Mason Jar look for this space.  It is super cute, but we needed something else.  Well, this is our solution for hanging pots with DRAINAGE!
Shopping List:
Small Terracotta Pot (4″ Diameter) with coordinating saucer
4 small nuts per pot
Your favorite strong stuff glue… Gorilla Glue, E6000, Liquid Nails… Just make sure it is WATERPROOF.
1 Pipe clamp per pot
1 Screw per pot
Apply your glue liberally & place nuts on top.  Allow this to dry before moving on to the next step (trust me).  You want your nuts to raise the pot just enough for drainage.  Not so large that you will see them.
Once dry, apply more glue to each nut & place the pot on top & again allow to dry COMPLETELY!  
(Update: If you use Gorilla Glue, cover the whole base & skip the nuts.  Let the glue dry & expand.  It will probably expand through the hole in your pot.  That’s ok!  Then use a masonry drill bit & drill two holes into the side of your pot right over where the lip of the saucer is.  We have done this with our latest pots & it works great too!  We were out of nuts & waterproof Liquid Nails… Lazy + Impatient + Hunting for supplies we already had = New Method)  
Next screw your pipe clamp into your wall (or cabinet in our case) using the proper anchors & screws.  I would recommend, but each case is going to be different.  Just remember these will have some weight & we want them to be sturdy.
Tighten your pipe clamp tightly around the flat lip of your pot.  (FYI:  You use a flat head screw driver to feed the perforated end through the fitting… I didn’t know how to do it… So I figured I’d share!) & TADA!
I added a fancy coat of gold to our pots before hanging them.  We also mounted them on to a chalkboard panel allowing us to note each herb we plant.  Soon our little Cilantro will have some more friends πŸ™‚
*** UPDATE: Our plants exploded & were doing great until the hot weather hit & we turned on our AC.  There happened to be a floor vent right beneath the planters.  This was the demise of out hanging planters.  We will be relocating these puppies to a new location because they were doing SO WELL!  So take into consideration any vents when locating your hanging planters.  Just trying to be honest! ***
Proof!  This was a week before the AC came on….

Home Stories A2Z

Linking up to the Spring Craft Link Party that Kate is hosting @ Centsational Girl